Sunday, June 26, 2011

Descent and Thirteenth Floor

I picked this two mainly because I did a little research on both of them and discovered that I had a little in common with both of them. Charlie Howard was actually a hate-crime the author wrote of how he felt or thought during his last minutes. Charlie Howard was teased to the point of his death. His death got a lot of attention nationally in the news and gave more light about hate-crimes. Joy Harjo’s “The Woman Hanging from the Thirteenth Floor Window” is about how everyone handles their destiny and the choices we make. We can either make the best choice possible or hang from the thirteenth floor window.


http://www.allaboutbipolar.com/2009/08/25/falling-sensation-is-this-psychosis/



These two poems did not really impact me at first mainly because I don't really like reading poems.

 Unless I know what they are talking about. That is why I went ahead and did some research. I found

out that the poem "Charlie Howard's Descent" was crime committed in Bangor, Maine July 7, 1984.

Three young man made the decion to tease and chase Charlie Howard and his friend till pushing him

over a bridge to his death.

I love to read about crimes and the fact that the poem is about a crime and

the maybe last thoughts of the victim gave it more feeling. "The Woman Hanging from the Thirteenth

Floor Window" definatly got to me beacause its about lifes decisons and three years ago I had to make

a life changing decison. I had to decide if to keep my baby or abortion. I kept her and life is upside

down loving every minute. Both of them talk about two completely different thing but have the same

meaning everything is about the decions you make with your life and others.

If you want to know more about Charlie Howard or hate-crimes Here is a link that might be

interesting.

2 comments:

  1. “We can either make the best choice possible or hang from the thirteenth floor window.” Yes, we all have choices to make in life. There are events that happen in our lives that can make us or break us and I have experienced some already, but in the end I use these experiences to make me a stronger person. Just like you choosing to keep your child.

    I have a cousin that is a teen mom. She was pregnant at 15. But she was raped by one of her family members. She also made a choice and she gave birth to her son. He is the apple of her eye and we all love this little guy. Although, this horrible event happened to her, she decided to make the best choice possible. She too, could have chosen differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not get a chance to read this poem the first time around. I read the title and to me it sounded a little complex and maybe i wouldnt be able to comprehend what i was reading. Although after reading this i told myself i must read the peoem (obviously) to be able to understand this post. I must say after finishing the read i was pretty impressed with your interpretation good job!

    ReplyDelete