Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summary Vs. Analysis

One of the differences from a summary to an analysis is that a summary is just an overall view to a story. Analysis on the other hand is picking a part of the story an deciding how its vital to the entire whole. One of my favorite book's since I was a young girl was "Matilda" by Roald Dahl. In my point of view and how I would a very short summary of the story is by saying, "Matilda is a novel written by Roald Dahl about a six year old child that developes powers in order to help her escape from her parents and help her wonderfull teacher escape her aunts reing of terror over an elementary."

http://www.kidsmomo.com/2011/matilda-a-musical/

On the other hand if I were to write an analysis for "Matilda" I would say, "Matilda is a child that has delt with child abuse and neglect from her parents and how adopting is an option for most children that have been abused." Analysis is to make a thesis and argument and have evidence of your argument and how it is important to the story.

I figured what a better way than to see summaries than through book reviews here is a link about book reviews of Roald Dahl's novel.

3 comments:

  1. Good job on your post! It is brief but a good post that makes clear the differences between analysis and summary. I think it was smart choosing a children's book for your example. The most basic stories are usually the best examples for explaining the differences between styles of writing. Short sweet and to the point!
    ~Noel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! I like how you chose one book of your liking and showed us an example of each. It will allow people who are unclear of the differences between the two. I especially enjoy the book Matilda, it is a great story. Good blog, keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you when you say that a good reader is someone who understands what the author is trying to say. I, as a reader, tend to be very biast when it comes to my opinion about a story. I am always quick to past judgement and create my own conclusions without trying to understand what the author is trying to tell me. I hope that I may learn to do so a little more this semester so that I may become a better reader. I think I may enjoy reading a little more if I took the time to understand what the author is trying to tell me.

    ReplyDelete