Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nabokov: What makes a good readrer?

Nabokov had a theory about what makes a good reader. Is he someone that as an imagination? Or someone that puts his feelings into the story making human connection? Nabokov believed that for a good reader to understand the story he had to understand the writer. He had to understand that the writer is a deciever and manipulator. He will make you believe somthing that could be a complete lie. That is why he also believed that good readers and not the ones that compare their lives to a character or a story but does that as the imagination to see past the words and into the writers point of view.

 I for one belive that his theory was correct in both aspects. Someone that is a good reader shoul be able to make a connection but also seperate feelings from a completely imaginative story. We can't fully understand someone elses point of view with our own emotions in the way. A reader should have the imagination to see and feel and smell what is going on in the book. It's like a movie playing directly in your mind to see the writers own thoughts.

Nabokov:http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/classics/russian/courses-1/nabokov

In my opinion a "good reader" isn't the one that can read the book the fastes or write a huge report on it over nothing. To me a good reader is one that has the full understanding that the writer is trying to get through. Writers are decivers because no matter what they write they always want you on their side. A good reader is the one that see the writers thoughts and in the end decide what was or is real. One that can picture the story and be completely sucked into it and appear in a distant land or in the middle of the jungle constantly on the move because of a war but seperat from the story.

I consider myself an awful reader. Not because I can't read but because no matter what I read I get caught up in the same opinion over and over. I pick bits from a story and make my own philosophy. I don't think really what the author is getting through most of the time. But I guess even then Nabokov would consider me a good reader because evn though sometimes I don't fully grasp the concept I still seperate myself from the writer to see my own truth.

Here is a link that is an essay that explains Nabokov's essay over "good readers."

2 comments:

  1. I have never thought of a good reader the way you just explained it here. My opinion is a good reader is one who can attach with the material they are reading and something they enjoy. I never thought that maybe a good reader is one who will read anything and can understand what they writer is saying. So this should bring some new light to my sense and understanding towards reading. Thank you and good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great concept about authors is that they are artists. Their work creates imagination and beauty. I believe a great gift a reader can give an author is their own thoughts of what the meaning is behind the author's work i.e. their own interpretation. I agree with you; a good reader is one that sees the writer’s thoughts and in the end decides their own truth.

    ReplyDelete